- Library Media Specialist: Heather Overstreet
- Library Aide: Linda Morrison
- Phone: 759-8081
- Address: 6314 Mary Harmon Bryant Drive, Cottondale, AL, 35453
Library Rules and Procedures
- Total books in circulation – 16,385
- 26 magazine subscriptions
- 38 student computers are located in the library
When is the library open?
Normal operating hours are 7:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. Notice of closings will be given when possible.
When can I use the library?
Students can use the library for circulation and Accelerated Reader tests whenever accompanied by a teacher or with a pass from their teacher.
However, the librarian does reserve the right to send a student back to class if the library is too busy.
When can I search the library collection through Destiny?
You should be able to search the library collection from any computer with internet access. At school, just look for the Destiny icon on the desktop and double-click. From home, click the Destiny link on the library’s main page.
When can I use library computers for Internet research?
That is up to your teacher. If you are assigned a research project, your teacher will schedule time for you to come to the library and use the computers. Students may also use the library to research without a class, provided you have a pass and clear guidelines as to what you need to research.
How many books may I borrow?
Students may borrow 3 books at a time. Students can request to become a “trusted borrower” and increase their book limit to 5 at a time. A good history of returning books on time is required. See Mrs. Overstreet or Mrs. Morrison for more information.
What library items can I borrow?
Students may borrow any fiction or nonfiction book and audiobooks. Items marked as Reference may be borrowed for overnight use. Magazines and newspapers cannot be borrowed.
How do I check out?
When you are finished making your selection, bring the books to the Circulation Desk. Mrs. Overstreet, Mrs. Morrison, or a student aide will check out your books. You will need your student picture i.d. to check out books.
How long can I keep the books?
Students can check out books for up to 2 weeks. If you want to keep the books longer, make sure to renew them in the library by the due date.
What if the book I want is already on loan to another student?
We can place a reserve on the book. A reserve placed on a book alerts us when the book is returned. We can loan the book to the person who placed the reserve and deliver it to his/her classroom.
Where should I return the books?
Book returns should be placed in the book drop located at the end of the Circulation Desk.
My book is due but I’m not finished reading it. Can I renew it?
Yes, if you need the book longer than the original two-week loan period, you can bring it to the library for renewal. However, if someone has placed a reserve on the book we cannot renew it for you at that time. You may place a reserve on the book.
What happens if I return a book late?
The late charge is $.10 per day, per book.
What if I can’t find the book(s)?
If you cannot return the items before the end of the semester, the items are considered lost. There is a charge of $10 for paperback books and $21 for hardback books and $30 for audiobooks.
May I borrow other books if I have a late book or fee?
All items must be returned and all fees must be paid before you may borrow any other books. Schedules will be held until all fees have been paid.
What if the media center does not have a book or quiz that I am looking for?
You can place the title(s) on our student suggestion list. We will do our best to purchase your suggestion(s).
Fines and Fees
- Overdue Book – $.10 per day, per book
- Printing – $.10 per page, black & white; $1.00 per page, color
- Lost book – $21 hardcover, $10 paperback, $30 audiobook
- No food, drink, or gum is allowed in the library.
- Leave any books you pull off the shelf on the tables or on top of the low book shelves; we will re-shelve them later.
- Please leave chairs and tables as you found them. Remember to clean up after yourself!
- The rolling chairs are meant to stay at the computers. Rolling around to other computers or around the room is not allowed.
- All classroom rules must also be followed in the library.
- You must use your username and password every time you use a computer. Do not “loan” your username to other students!
- The computers located in the stacks are for Destiny and research.
- The computers near the Circulation Desk are for research.
- Students must have a parent-signed Internet consent form to use online resources
- Games, music, and the like are not permitted so that everyone can read and work well.
- The computer island in front of the Circulation Desk is for searching Destiny.
- Please ask for permission to print; make sure to have your money ready!
- Printing is restricted to items needed for your class assignment(s).